Search Our Site
Dr. Shine John
List All Members | General:
- Podiatric Surgeon, Physician at Austin Foot and Ankle Specialists
- Austin Foot And Ankle Specialists
- 5000 Bee Caves Road, suite 202
Austin, TX 78746
Dr. Shine John, DPM, FACFAS is a partner at Austin Foot and Ankle Specialists.
He is originally from New York City, and relocated to the Austin area in 2009.
Dr. John is a Fellowship-trained, Board Certified, Foot and Ankle Surgeon, with 4-years of comprehensive Foot and Ankle Surgery and Medicine training.
He is Double Board Certified, with certifications by The American Board of Foot and Ankle Surgeons (ABFAS) and The American Board of Podiatric Medicine (ABPM). He is a Fellow of the American College of Foot and Ankle Surgeons (ACFAS).
Dr. John completed a 1-year Reconstructive Foot and Ankle Surgery and Research Fellowship with the internationally renowned Weil Foot-Ankle and Orthopedic Institute in Chicago, IL (www.weil4feet.com). This Reconstructive Foot and Ankle Surgical Fellowship, (http://www.acfas.org/fellowshipweil/) is the longest running American College of Foot and Ankle Surgeons (ACFAS) recognized fellowship in Reconstructive Foot and Ankle surgery. Since 1995, Fellowship alumni have moved on to provide significant leadership and influence on a local and national basis. Under the direction of Dr. Lowell Weil Jr. and Dr. Lowell Scott Weil Sr., the Fellowship offered vast exposure to many state of the art and innovative procedures for treatment of simple to complex foot and ankle pathologies. Dr. Lowell Scott Weil Sr. is the innovator of the internationally used Weil osteotomy procedure. Dr. Lowell Weil Jr. is the innovator of the most internationally popularized technique for Plantar Plate ligament tears (http://www.arthrex.com/foot-ankle/plantar-plate-repair).
Dr. John's training included extensive experience using Extracorporeal Shockwave therapy (ESWT), Radiofrequency Coblation techniques and Regenerative Medicine for resolution of foot and ankle conditions. His Fellowship directors are the team podiatrists for the Chicago White Sox and consultants for other professional Chicago sports teams, which enhanced his skills in Sports Medicine. Often, the most advanced and cutting-edge techniques were utilized to allow quicker recovery and early return to sport. Advanced surgical training, sports medicine skills, clinical research skills, evidence-based medicine and business innovation skills were stressed during the Fellowship year.
Prior to the Fellowship, he completed the prestigious and nationally respected 3-year Foot and Ankle Surgical Residency training at the Western Pennsylvania Hospital in Pittsburgh, PA. The Foot and Ankle Surgical Residency led by Dr. Robert W. Mendicino and Dr. Alan R. Catanzariti has produced many outstanding Foot and Ankle surgeons over the last several years. Dr. Robert W. Mendicino is past-President of the ACFAS. Many graduates of the residency program hold prominent leadership positions in the ACFAS and have authored significant content in various professional publications, journals and respected Podiatric and Orthopedic textbooks. During his residency, he was able to do a mini-Fellowship at the Rubin Institute for Advanced Orthopedics in Baltimore, MD (http://www.rubininstitute.com/RIAO/AboutRIAO.aspx). The specialized residency experience helped Dr. John develop skills in advanced foot and ankle arthrodesis, deformity correction, flatfoot reconstruction, minimally invasive techniques, ankle arthroscopy, tendon and ligament repair and reconstruction, and revision surgery.
Dr. John received his Doctorate of Podiatric Medicine Degree from the New York College of Podiatric Medicine (NYCPM). In addition to graduating in the top percentile of his class and receiving several scholarships/awards throughout his four years at NYCPM, he was very active in the admissions department and held several leadership positions. His achievements include the NYCPM President's Award and being a member of the Pi Delta National Podiatry Honor Society. Prior to attending NYCPM, Dr. John received his Bachelors Degree in Life Sciences at the New York Institute of Technology (NYIT).
He has authored in professional publications, textbooks and journals. He continues to serve as manuscript reviewer for the Foot and Ankle Specialist journal (http://fas.sagepub.com/) and has also done so for the Journal of Foot and Ankle Surgery (http://www.jfas.org/home).
Dr. John approaches all those he comes across with humility and humor. He believes strongly in effective communication and feels it is an integral component in establishing trust with a patient. He is genuinely interested in his patients' conditions, sensitive to their needs and offers effective treatment plans combined with informative explanations, in terms his patients can understand.
Aside from staying abreast with advances in Foot and Ankle Surgery, Dr. John enjoys spending time strengthening his Christian faith through music and reading, performing service through church activities, and attends Austin Christian Fellowship at Four Points. He also enjoys physical fitness, nutrition, cooking and enjoying time with his family and friends.
He strives to use his clinical, surgical and research skills to provide the greatest care for existing and new patients in the practice.
FOOT AND ANKLE SURGERY FELLOWSHIP TRAINING
The Weil Foot and Ankle Institute
- Directors: Lowell Scott Weil Jr., DPM, MBA FACFAS and
Lowell Scott Weil Sr., DPM, FACFAS
- Program: One Year Foot and Ankle Surgery and Research Fellowship
- Position: Fellow (August 1,2008- July 31, 2009)
- Exposure to all aspects of Foot and Ankle Medicine and Surgery as well as clinical decision making, post-operative management, Foot & Ankle Research, and practice management
- Participation in a wide variety of very specialized surgical procedures that have been developed and refined by surgeons at the Weil Foot & Ankle Institute
- Exposure and participation in scientific and business meetings with reputable individuals in podiatric surgery, foot & ankle orthopedic surgery and members of the orthopedic industry
- Participation in all aspects of research from hypothesis and designing research studies, to participation in FDA clinical trials
- Supervisory position and education of students and residents performing rotations at the Weil Foot and Ankle Institute
The Western Pennsylvania Hospital/Temple University School of Medicine Clinical Campus
Division of Foot and Ankle Surgery, Pittsburgh, PA
- Directors: Robert W. Mendicino, DPM, FACFAS Alan R. Catanzariti, DPM, FACFAS
- Program: Three Year Foot and Ankle Surgical Residency (PM&S 36)
- Position: PGY-3 (Chief Resident)
- Extensive training in elective forefoot and hindfoot surgery, elective ankle surgery, reconstructive foot and ankle surgery, foot and ankle trauma, diabetic limb salvage and the application of external fixation devices
- Comprehensive clinical training in all aspects of foot and ankle care at the Foot and Ankle Institute of Western Pennsylvania
- Surgical Rotations:
- Vascular Surgery
- Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
- Surgical Intensive Care Unit
- Orthropedic Surgery - International Center for Limb Lengthening, Rubin Institute for Advanced Orthopedics, Baltimore, Maryland (Directors: Dror Paley, MD and John Herzenberg, MD)
- Medical Rotations:
- Emergency Medicine
- Infectious Disease
- Internal Medicine
- Pain Management
- Integrated medical training in various pertinent specialties with an emphasis on a multi-disciplinary team approach and hospital management
NEW YORK COLLEGE OF PODIATRIC MEDICINE (NYCPM)
New York, NY
Doctor of Podiatric Medicine, June 2005
Honors and Accomplishments:
- NYCPM President's Award 2005
- NYCPM Academic Scholarship, 2000-2004
- NYCPM Dean's List, 2001-2004
- Pi Delta Professional Honor Society
- American Podiatric Medical Association (APMA)-Fund For Podiatric Medical Education Scholarship, 2003-2004
- Joseph Levitz, DPM Clinic Award, 2004
- J.T. Tai Foundation Educational Merit Scholarship, 2004
- Collegiate All-American Scholar Award, 2004
- Who's Who Among Students In American Colleges And Universities, 2003
- NYCPM Student Service Award, 2002
NEW YORK INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY (NYIT)
Old Westbury, NY
Bachelor of Science in Biochemistry- May 2000
Honors and Accomplishments:
- NYIT President's Honor List, 1998-2000
- NYIT Microbiology Award, 1999
- John S, Catanzariti AR, Mendicino RW. Book Chapter: Tarsometatarsal Arthrodesis. McGlamry’s Comprehensive Textbook of Foot and Ankle Surgery – Fourth Edition. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins. Fall 2012.
- Lamm BM, John S, Herzenberg JE, Paley D. Percutaneous Osteotomy for Realignment of the Malunited Ankle. Operative Techniques in Orthopaedic Surgery – First Edition. Elsevier Publishing. July 2010.
- John S, Child BJ, Hix J, Maskill M, Bowers C, Catanzariti AR, Mendicino RW, Saltrick K. A retrospective analysis of anterior calcaneal osteotomy with allogenic bone graft. J Foot Ankle Surg. 2010 Jul-Aug;49(4):375-9.
- John S, Weil LS Jr., Weil LS Sr. Scarf Osteotomy for Correction of Adolescent Hallux Valgus Deformity. Foot Ankle Spec. 2009 Feb:3(1):10-4
- John S, Bongiovanni FB. Brace Management for Ankle Arthritis. Clin Podiatr Med Surg. 2009 Apr;26(2):193-7.
- John S, Child B, Maskill M, Hix J, Catanzariti AR, Mendicino RW, Saltrick K. Report of Union and Complication Rates of Bone Allograft used in the Anterior Calcaneal Osteotomy for Pediatric and Adult Flatfoot. In Submission to Journal of Foot and Ankle Surgery
- John S, Weil LS Jr., Weil LS Sr. Scarf Osteotomy for Correction of Adolescent Hallux Valgus Deformity. Poster presented at ACFAS Annual Meeting and Scientific Seminar, Washington DC 2009
- John S, Weil LS Jr. Incidence of Wound Healing Complications Related to Celecoxib. Poster presented at ACFAS Annual Meeting and Scientific Seminar, Washington DC 2009
- John S, Weil LS Sr., Weil LS Jr., et al. Percutaneous Micro-Fasciotomy using Plasma Ablation for the Treatment of Plantar Fasciosis: A Randomized, Controlled, Double-Blind Study, Comparing the Results with Percutaneous Plantar Fasciotomy. Poster presented at ACFAS Annual Meeting and Scientific Seminar, Washington DC 2009
- John S, Child B, Maskill M, Hix J, Catanzariti AR, Mendicino RW, Saltrick K. Report of Union and Complication Rates of Bone Allograft used in the Anterior Calcaneal Osteotomy for Pediatric and Adult Flatfoot. Poster Presented at ACFAS Annual Meeting and Scientific Seminar, Long Beach, CA 2008
- John S, Child B, Maskill M, Hix J, Catanzariti AR, Mendicino RW, Saltrick K. Outcome Analysis of Pediatric Flatfoot Deformity Correction Utilizing Calcaneal Osteotomies. Poster Presented at ACFAS Annual Meeting and Scientific Seminar, Long Beach, CA 2008
- Mendicino RW, Catanzariti AR, John S, Child B, Lamm B. The Long Leg Calcaneal Axial and Hindfoot Alignment - Radiographic Views for Frontal Plane Assessment. J Am Podiatr Med Assoc. 2008 Jan-Feb;98(1):75-8.
- John S, Mendicino RW, Catanzariti AR. Recognizing and Treating Ankle Impingement Syndromes. Podiatry Today. August 2007
- John S, Child B, Catanzariti AR, Mendicino RM, Saltrick K. Use of Intramedullary Steinman Pin Fixation in First Metatarsophalangeal Joint Arthrodesis. Poster Presented at ACFAS Annual Meeting and Scientific Seminar, Orlando, FL 2007
- Sub-Investigator. NeuroTherm Radiofrequency Nerve Ablation for Chronic Heel and Foot Pain. Sponsor: RF Medical and Precision Medical Engineering (PME), Cortec Group, Inc.
- Sub-Investigator. An Open Label, Three Arm, Pilot Study of the Safety and Clinical Efficacy of Topical Dermacyn Wound Care vs. Oral Levofloxacin vs. Combined Therapy for Mild Diabetic Foot Infections. Sponsor: Oculus Innovative Sciences, Inc.
- Journal Manuscript Reviewer, Foot and Ankle Specialist. SAGE Publishing 2009-Present
- Journal Manuscript Reviewer, Journal of Foot and Ankle Surgery. Elsevier Publishing 2009-Present
- Externship Manager, The Western Pennsylvania Hospital Foot and Ankle Residency Program, 2005-2007
- Executive Editor, Footnotes. NYCPM Newsletter, 2003-2005
- Editor-in-Chief, Business Editor, Podiatric Medical Review - NYCPM Clinical Journal, 2002-2005
- Student Representative to the Board of Trustees, New York State Podiatric Medical Association, 2002-2005
- Student Ambassador-Annual New York State Podiatric Lobby Day, New York State Podiatric Medical Association, 2002-2005
- Student Ambassador, Applicant Interviewer, Applicant Outreach Program Representative, Open House Representative, NYCPM Office of Admissions, 2001-2005
- Recitation Group Leader, NYCPM Freshman Biochemistry Recitations, 2003
- Class President, NYCPM Student Government, 2002-2003
- Class Vice-President, NYCPM Student Government, 2001-2002
- Panel Speaker for Podiatric Medical School, Associated Medical Schools Conference and Symposium, 2003-2004
Download a Publication:
- Podiatric or Orthopedic Surgeon: Which One Should You Choose?
- Broken Foot Bone: The Various 5th Metatarsal Fractures and Treatment Options
Heel and Arch Pain
Foot, Skin and Nail Problems