Austinites enjoy Zilker Park all year, but in December it shines—literally. The Trail of Lights showcases over fifty light exhibits, and marks the official beginning of the Christmas season for many families. Enjoy the sparkling beauty and all of the fanfare that comes with it (carolers, dancing, and food, of course!), by participating in the Trail of Lights 5K Run on Saturday, December 7. If you don’t think your feet are 5K ready, try the Family Mile. You’re sure to spot friends from your neighborhood and the North Pole!
Before the run, warm up from your head to your toes. The feet and ankles are placed under a lot of stress with each foot strike, and an injury can occur. If you do sprain your ankle during exercise, here are some tips for a healthy recovery:
- Try RICE: Rest, ice, elevate, and apply compression to your ankle, while at home.
- Evaluate: Call Austin Foot and Ankle Specialists for a complete evaluation.
- Comply: Follow care instructions given by Dr. Craig H. Thomajan DPM, FACFAS and Dr. Shine John DPM, FACFAS carefully. This includes following through with home exercises or physical therapy appointments.
- Wait: Allow your injury to heal completely.
- Use Caution: Gradually work back to your normal workout routine.
- Listen: Pain is your body’s way of signaling a problem. Don’t ignore it! You may be doing too much, too soon.
No one wants to hobble through the holidays. If you’ve experienced an ankle injury, call the Austin experts in sports injury to learn more about how you can enjoy a speedy and healthy recovery. Call (512) 328-8900 today to schedule an appointment, or request an appointment online.