One of the best tools that any podiatrist can use to help treat various medical conditions is a set of custom foot supports. These devices are an integral part of treatment for a range of issues and are customized to work with a patient’s unique feet. Here at Austin Foot and Ankle Specialists, we are proud to offer products made by Total Contact Orthotics, a premium quality maker of custom foot supports, for our patients.
An Intro to Orthotics
When we start talking about support for your feet, too many people are quick to ask if we mean the shoe inserts they can buy at the store. Those over-the-counter devices can provide some benefit, but mostly in the areas of extra cushioning and enhanced arch support. They cannot, however, treat a medical condition. Custom orthotics, on the other hand, are used explicitly for that purpose. Even better, they are crafted specifically to accommodate a patient’s unique feet and can provide benefit for arch issues, plantar fasciitis, bunions, neuromas, and a host of other foot and ankle conditions.
Why Total Contact Orthotics?
These quality orthotic devices are designed to limit the forces experienced when walking or standing, especially on hard surfaces. This prevents the feet from becoming unbalanced and subject to uneven distribution of ground forces. They provide an experience much like walking in sand, where forces are spread evenly across the bottom of the feet.
In addition to benefit for any foot or ankle issues, these supports help build upon the foundation and structure your feet provide to positively align your spine in its intended manner.
Various Types of Total Contact Orthotics
Not all feet and all foot conditions require the same solution. For this reason, there are a variety of podiatric lines offered by Total Contact, including:
- Total Root – This style is intended to correct feet to neutral positions and provide a rigid support structure to maintain the positioning. Our doctors will adjust the polypropylene shell in the proper manner to accommodate your unique feet with these devices.
- Total Dress – The design behind this semi-rigid orthotic style (narrower, thinner) is intended to accommodate dress shoes so our patients can have the support they need for optimal foot comfort, support, and performance even at the office.
- Total Carbon – Some patients require a greater level of structural integrity and the Total Carbon model provides it with a hi-tech material that reduces the weight of the orthotic device, while at the same time enhancing functionality. The result is a strong product that distributes forces and weight evenly.
- Total Sport – Many sports require side-to-side movement, so a narrow orthotic device won’t cut it. With Total Sport, the shell is widened to better accommodate this style of motion.
- Total Diabetic – Individuals with diabetes know the importance of reducing the risk of ulcers developing and the Total Diabetic model is constructed with 3 different foams to comfortably protect diabetic feet from skin ulceration.
When you come into our office, we can discuss your specific orthotic needs and determine which type(s) would benefit you the most.
The Preferred Source for Total Contact Orthotics in Austin, TX
You already knew that Austin Foot and Ankle Specialists was committed to constantly redefining what excellence in podiatry means, but this is just another example of how we serve our patients. If you are experiencing foot or ankle issues, our specialty orthotics might be the solution you need. Find out by calling our Austin, TX office at (512) 328-8900 or using our online form to schedule your appointment today!