Search Our Site
About Austin Foot & Ankle Specialists
What is a Podiatrist?
A Podiatrist, Doctor of Podiatric Medicine (DPM), is the only health care professional whose total training focuses on the foot, ankle and related body systems. As a specialist in foot care, the podiatrist receives extensive training in the diagnosis, treatment and prevention of foot and ankle disorders by medical and surgical means. After obtaining an undergraduate degree, the podiatric doctor spends four years in a college of podiatric medicine to obtain a doctorate degree. Podiatrists are the only medical specialists educated, trained, licensed, and certified for exclusive treatment of the foot and ankle.
Podiatrists further their education by participating in a post-graduate residency program at an approved hospital or university. Following their doctorate degree, each podiatrist must pass national and state examinations in order to be licensed by the state in which he or she will practice.
If your podiatric surgeon is certified by the American Board of Podiatric Orthopedics and Primary Podiatric Medicine or the American Board of Podiatric Surgery, he or she has successfully completed a credentialing and examination process and has demonstrated knowledge of podiatric surgery, including the diagnosis of general medical problems and surgical management of foot diseases, deformities, and trauma of the foot, ankle and related structures.
Podiatrists also play a critical role in the care, treatment and management of the diabetic, elderly and circulation-impaired. The diagnosis, intervention and treatment by podiatrists may save patients from amputation, restore mobility or prevent other serious, more costly problems, by early detection and appropriate treatment.
- Austin Foot and Ankle Specialists offer the most current medical and surgical advancements to patients of all ages.
- Dr. Craig Thomajan DPM and Dr. Shine John DPM approach the care of individual patients aware of the literatures current evidence in making decisions to support his clinical practice.
- Craig H. Thomajan DPM, is Board Certified in Foot Surgery, Reconstructive Rearfoot/Ankle Surgery by the American Board of Podiatric Surgery and Board Certified by the American Board of Podiatric Orthopedics and Primary Podiatric Medicine and is a Fellow of the American College of Foot and Ankle Surgeons.
- Shine John DPM, is a Fellowship Trained Foot and Ankle Surgeon and is an Associate of the American College of Foot and Ankle Surgeons.
- Surgical correction of foot and ankle deformities will be discussed with patients based on the most current theories and technologies
- Innovative non-surgical treatments for heel pain, achilles tendon issues, plantar warts, and interdigital neuromas are offered
- The state of the art practice includes electronic medical record keeping, digital radiographs, arterial Doppler, computerized gait scanner and diagnostic Ultrasound equipment. The friendly atmosphere and staff will help with all aspects of the patient's health and insurance needs
Diabetic Foot Care & Lower Extremity Wound Care Evaluation
- Dr. Thomajan, DPM has a special interest in patients with Diabetes
- Austin Foot and Ankle Specialists offers in-office lower extremity comprehensive testing and evaluation of the diabetic foot and leg
- Complicated wound healing therapies and reconstructive and revisional procedures of the diabetic foot and leg with emphasis on limb salvage are offered
- Dr. Thomajan trained extensively during panels in a Curative(TM) wound care center under the guidance of Podiatric and Plastic Surgeons
- Having achieved parity in the care of the Diabetic foot in the past decade, podiatric medicine has demonstrated that even badly ulcerated, infected, and arterially-compromised feet can often be saved
- Dr. Thomajan, DPM works closely as a member of the multidisciplinary healthcare team in the comprehensive treatment of patients with Diabetes Mellitus
- He has expertise in infectious disease evaluation and management of limb and life threatening infections
- Dr. Thomajan, DPM will play an important role in the management of those special foot problems. This role will start with proper education of the patient and may continue down many different pathways, all of which will lead hopefully to successful therapeutic outcomes and overall improved quality of life.
- Surgical management of all diabetic elective, corrective, curative, and emergent podiatric alignments is greatly emphasized.