The agony of ongoing pain or putting off treating an injury due to your fear of surgery is commonplace in our practice.
At Austin Foot and Ankle Specialists, we're always looking for bigger and better options to offer our patients. Although some conditions we treat eventually require surgery, we know that having treatment alternatives can be beneficial for our patients. Not everyone (not many!) is keen about going under the bright lights and having a scalpel cut them. We worry about those who love needles and knives!
There is a treatment option that has begun to show incredible success in managing pain and treating various orthopedic conditions called Laser Therapy. Laser therapy involves the use of light energy, emitted at different wavelengths, which penetrate the skin and stimulate cellular metabolic activity.
Laser therapy can be used for various conditions, including some of the more common conditions seen in our office, such as:
- Tendon and Ligament Injuries
- Plantar Fasciitis
- Muscle Sprains
- Sport Injuries
- Joint and Muscle Pain
- Wound Healing and Inflammation Prevention
If you are wondering about the benefits for using laser therapy treatment then here is a quick list, which we have gathered from the results and responses from our patients.
1) Painless Procedure!! – Unlike other laser treatments, this laser therapy has no associated tingling, heat or needle-prick sensations felt during an office treatment. The laser is programmed by your podiatrist to act on a specific area without causing any discomfort or swelling.
2) Minimal to No Pain - Not only is there no pain associated with treatment, but patients who have experienced years of ongoing pain and have not found a successful method towards managing their pain have finally found a solution. Laser therapy has enormous pain relieving capabilities, within a few treatments the pain can disappear as if it never existed. The pulsating light emissions from the laser interrupt the pain signals that are sent to the brain, thereby diminishing the feeling of pain.
3) Heal Faster – Whether you’ve had a recent surgery or are recovering from a sport related injury, laser therapy can help you recover and get you back on your feet much faster than normal healing time. The concentrated light is released at specific wavelengths, which penetrates the skin and stimulates the metabolic activity of the cells within the damaged tissue. This accelerated cellular activity causes increased cellular growth and tissue repair.
4) Reduced Inflammation – The continuous light emissions from the laser on your treatment area stimulate vascular circulation, which causes increased delivery of immuno-responsive cells. In addition, the increased vascular circulation induces an anti-inflammatory effect by reducing the edema caused by the inflammatory process.
5) No Ugly Scars – Whether you are opposed to surgery or fear the scars and recovery time associated with surgery, laser therapy eliminates all of these problems. Fortunately, laser therapy is non-invasive, so there is no scar or recovery time associated with the procedure.
Overall, if you are looking for an alternative to invasive surgery or want to try a quick and different treatment option due to failed past attempts, then Laser Therapy treatment could be the Right Choice for You.
Laser Therapy Overview:
Podiatric use of Laser Therapy: