My foot doesn't fit in a shoe, what do I do?

Shoes with special inserts may be needed after the bone of the foot have healed and changed shape to enable the patient to return to normal activities as well as help to prevent recurrence of developing ulcer and possible amputation. In cases with significant deformity a custom brace may also be required. In an effort to prevent foot ulcers in people with diabetes who are at risk, Medicare will help pay for therapeutic shoes. For those who qualify, Medicare will pay 80 percent of the allowed amount for one pair of shoes and up to three pairs of molded innersoles per year. Most secondary insurers will help pay the other 20 percent. For all others, extra depth therapeutic shoes may be special ordered through our office.