Meet The Expert
Dr. Craig Thomajan, DPM, FACFAS, FAENS is a podiatric physician, surgeon, and specialist of the foot and ankle dedicated to providing state-of-the-art medical and surgical care to patients of all ages. He is the founder and managing partner of Austin Foot and Ankle Specialists.
He is board-certified in Foot Surgery by the American Board of Podiatric Surgery, Board-certified in Reconstructive Rearfoot/Ankle Surgery by the American Board of Podiatric Surgery, Board-certified by the American Board of Podiatric Medicine, is a Fellow of the American College of Foot and Ankle Surgeons, and a Fellow of the Association of Extremity Nerve Surgeons.
SURGICAL RESIDENCY TRAINING
St. Vincent’s Catholic Medical Center
Flushing, New York
- Dr. Thomajan, DPM, FACFAS, FAENS received surgical training from a core attending staff of sixty-five physicians. His legacy and greatest accomplishment during his training was as a founding member of the Foot Reconstructive Team.
- Multidisciplinary team of Podiatry, Plastic Surgery, Vascular Surgery, Interventional Radiology, Occupational and Physical Therapy.
- Performed complicated reconstructive limb salvage procedures on diabetic patients as a means to prevent lower extremity amputations.
- Procedures take multiple hours and rehabilitation would be approximately four months.
- During the spring of 2002, Dr. Thomajan, DPM, FACFAS, FAENS was one of twelve physicians chosen to continue training at St. Joseph’s as a Podiatric Surgical resident.
- A three-year program that conveys a graduated system of education, from simple forefoot to complicated rear-foot and ankle procedures.
- Training includes a strong emphasis on perioperative care, as well as management of complicated surgical patient and diabetic limb salvage.
- Training in Anesthesia and Wound Care in a Curative(TM) Wound Care center was also provided.
- Dr. Thomajan, DPM, FACFAS, FAENS performed over eleven hundred surgical procedures and treated more than 3000 patients.
- Dr. Thomajan’s, DPM, FACFAS, FAENS responsibility to educate freshman and junior residents and coordinate didactic activity increased during the transition into his Chief Resident year.
- Logistics for setting and choosing advanced workshops, grand rounds, and lectures sponsored by leading podiatric biomedical manufacturers.
- Administrative duties as a representative of the hospital system and the Department of Podiatry.
- Dr. Thomajan, DPM, FACFAS, FAENS continues to write for professional publications and currently has articles published in scientific foot and ankle journals.
- Dr. Thomajan, DPM, FACFAS, FAENS completed his training in June 2005 achieving board qualification in Foot Surgery and Reconstructive Rearfoot and Ankle Surgery by the Board of Podiatric Surgery.
- Dr. Thomajan’s, DPM, FACFAS, FAENS dedication to the podiatric profession and post-graduate education has allowed him to actively participate in professional memberships.
- He is a member of:
- The Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Glasglow
- The American College of Foot and Ankle Surgeons
- The Association of Extremity Nerve Surgeons
- The American Microsurgical Orthoplastics Society
- The Texas Podiatric Medical Association
- The American Podiatric Medical Association
- The American Diabetes Association
- The American Academy of Podiatric Practice Management
MEDICAL RESIDENCY TRAINING
St. Joseph’s Hospital
St. Vincent’s Catholic Medical Centers
Flushing, New York
- Postgraduate training began in July of 2001 at St. Joseph‘s Hospital in Flushing, New York, an affiliate of Saint Vincent‘s Catholic Medical Centers.
- Dr. Thomajan, DPM, FACFAS, FAENS treated over eight hundred patients and logged over one thousand procedures in his first year of Primary Podiatric Medicine residency.
- Palliative and conservative treatment of all foot and ankle pathology, lower extremity wound care, and office-based surgical management were emphasized during his training.
- Case discussions, grand rounds, manufacturer in-services, journal clubs, business meetings, workshops, and cadaver labs were all part of the daily routine.
- Training in other disciplines such as Internal Medicine, Behavioral Health, Emergency Medicine, Radiology, and Pathology were required.
- This training is accredited by the American Board of Podiatric Orthopedics and Primary Podiatric Medicine, The Council of Podiatric Medicine Education, and The Council of Teaching Hospitals and Health Systems.
- In the summer of 2002, Dr. Thomajan, DPM, FACFAS, FAENS passed the annual board examination given in Chicago Illinois, achieving Associate status.
New York College of Podiatric Medicine
Manhattan, New York
- Dr. Thomajan, DPM, FACFAS, FAENS began podiatric training at the New York College of Podiatric Medicine (NYCPM) in Manhattan, New York in July of 1997.
- Degree study consisted of two years of didactic courses and two years of clinical training.
- NYCPM is the nation’s oldest and largest college of podiatric medicine and has remained at the forefront of podiatric medical education for over 90+ years.
- It combined outstanding classroom instruction with clinical training in the world’s largest foot care clinic, The Foot Clinics of New York.
- The Foot Clinics of New York receive more than 56,000 patient visits a year, and residency programs at 170 affiliated hospitals nationwide.
Hempstead, New York
- In the fall of 1995, Dr. Thomajan, DPM, FACFAS, FAENS entered graduate school at Hofstra University in Hempstead, New York with course specialization in Human Cytogenetics.
- He was chosen to be a graduate teaching assistant in his first year at Hofstra.
- Thereafter, he was appointed Adjunct Professor and, in addition to his studies, taught undergraduate courses in Genetics and Life Sciences.
- In his second year at Hofstra, he was chosen to participate in a six hundred hour internship in the Human Cytogenetics laboratory at the North Shore University Hospital in Manhasset, New York.
- Dr. Thomajan, DPM, FACFAS, FAENS completed his study and training at Hofstra University in 1997.
University of Stony Brook
Stony Brook, New York
- Dr. Craig H. Thomajan DPM, FACFAS, FAENS received a Bachelor of Science degree in Biology and Anthropology at the University of Stony Brook in Stony Brook, New York in 1995.
- He conducted undergraduate research funded by the University’s Emergency Medicine department.
- He co-authored two articles that set out the findings of this research and both were published in widely read professional periodicals.
- In 1995 Dr. Thomajan, DPM, FACFAS, FAENS was inducted into Alpha Epsilon Delta, a nationally recognized Pre-Medicine Honor Society.
- In May of 1995, he was invited to represent the Emergency Department and lecture at the Society for Academic Emergency Medicine’s annual meeting in Washington D.C.