Just like rain can ruin a day at the pool, mosquitos can spoil a picnic, and construction noise can turn a relaxing retreat into a stressful headache, nerve pain can definitely have a negative impact on your day. In fact, the burning, tingling, numbness, and pain of nerve damage can make fun events and activities, and even (not-as-much-fun) chores difficult, but there are ways you can manage nerve pain at home so you can get back to the life you love.
- Exercise. While the last thing you may feel like doing is moving, it’s actually one of the best things you can do for yourself! Exercise increases blood flow and that helps damage nerves receive the nutrients they need to heal. It might be difficult at first, but trust us -- the more you move, the better you’ll feel!
- Make healthy lifestyle choices. Don’t smoke, limit alcohol and caffeine, and eat a diet filled with fruits, veggies, whole grains, lean protein, and foods rich in vitamin B-12, especially since a deficiency can negatively affect nerves.
- Avoid triggers. Besides smoke and alcohol, stay away from toxic chemicals as well as cramped positions and repetitive movements.
- Manage underlying conditions. If diabetes is behind your nerve issues, be sure to keep blood glucose levels in control.
- Pamper yourself. Reducing stress can go a long way toward relieving symptoms. Take a warm bath or enjoy a foot massage – both of these not only decrease stress but increase circulation, too!
- Protect your feet. Shoes that fit well and offer plenty of cushion, along with special padding and custom orthotics, can all help feet stay safe from harm.
Are You Looking for a Nerve Pain Specialist in Austin, TX?
If you are looking for nerve pain care, you should reach out to an experienced podiatrist. Austin Foot and Ankle Specialists can help. Our office provides a wide variety of advanced, effective treatment options for all kinds of painful conditions. Ready to schedule an appointment? Contact us online our Austin office at 512.328.8900.