It will likely come as no surprise to hear that pregnancy is not easy. Fortunately, there is an abundance of resources available to help expectant mothers here in the Austin, TX community. One example is Austin Life Care, which offers classes to educate parents on matters like prenatal care, child passenger safety, and even on being a father.
During the nine months leading up to a child’s birth, pregnant women can often experience swollen feet from a condition known as edema. This is a fairly common issue that can lead to discomfort during a time when it can already be hard enough to find comfort. The good news is that lifestyle and home remedies can provide relief for an uncomfortable case of edema, while at the same time preventing it from returning.
Some of the top tips for treating swollen feet at home include:
- Move around. When feet and ankles are uncomfortable, it might not seem as though moving around will be particularly helpful, but this practice can help to pump excess fluid away from the lower extremities and back up to the heart. Our office can provide specific exercises and activities that reduce swelling in the feet.
- Lift your legs. Keeping your legs elevated above the level of your heart at various times during the day will help to relieve the swelling. At night, it can be especially beneficial to prop your feet up on a couple of pillows to keep your legs raised.
- Get a massage. Have your masseuse (even if this is a spouse or significant other) use firm—but not painful—pressure while stroking the affected area in the direction towards your heart.
- Wear the right socks. Compression stockings keep the right amount of pressure on your limbs, which prevents fluid from pooling in the tissues.
- Lower your salt intake. Sodium leads to fluid retention and can increase swelling, so be sure to limit how much salt is contained in your daily diet. Need recommendations on an appropriate level? We can provide advice.
Are You Looking for a Foot Care in Austin, TX?
If you are looking for foot care, you should reach out to an experienced podiatrist. Austin Foot and Ankle Specialists can help. Our office provides a wide variety of advanced, effective treatment options for all kinds of painful conditions. Ready to schedule an appointment? Contact us online our Austin office at 512.328.8900.