In just a couple of days, Austin schools will be back in session. Sure, this means “back to the books” for kids, but it also means “back to practice” for the student-athletes who participate in sports like football, volleyball, cross country, and team tennis. Some teams have already begun training, and we hope the athletes are rewarded for their efforts in practice with success on game day!
More importantly, though, we hope they are all able to stay safe while training and competing. Of course, there is always a certain degree of injury risk with any sport or physical activity, but the good news is that conservative sports injury treatment is usually quite effective. This means we are often able to provide pain relief and restore functionality without the need for surgical intervention.
Some of the non-surgical treatment options for foot and ankle injuries include:
- RICE – No, we aren’t talking about the grain, but rather the practice of Rest, Ice, Compression, and Elevation. This is a time-proven method to help relieve pain, reduce inflammation, and give the body a chance to perform its natural healing process. Rest is an essential component of healing, but it doesn’t mean you have to be inactive! Instead, we may recommend that you switch to low-impact exercises like cycling, swimming, yoga, or even some weightlifting until your foot or ankle has completely healed.
- Medication – Along with RICE, certain medications are beneficial for both relieving pain and reducing inflammation. It is important to consult with our office for specific recommendations regarding the type of medication and dosage that will work best for you.
- Custom orthotics – Depending on the nature of the sports injury, we may prescribe a pair of custom orthotic devices to provide comfort, restrict abnormal motion, or redistribute forces across your foot. These can be instrumental in addressing current issues, but also help to prevent additional ones from developing.
- Extracorporeal Shockwave Therapy – This is a state-of-the-art treatment option we have here at Austin Foot and Ankle Specialists that is also used to treat professional athletes. Actually, with the 2016 Olympic Games winding down, we guarantee there are trainers in Rio who use this technology on world-class athletes, too!
- MLS Laser Therapy – You can receive benefits like faster healing, increased mobility, and marked decrease in pain right here at Austin Foot and Ankle Specialists from the most advanced laser therapy system available. MLS laser therapy is quick, painless, and highly effective!
- Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) Injections – This advanced treatment capitalizes on the body’s natural growth factors to help damaged tissues heal more quickly. Professional and world-class athletes use PRP injections as a way to recover from injury and return to their sports in less time than it would otherwise take.
- Amniogenic Therapy – In this form of therapy, we inject a mixture of amniotic fluid and tissue into damaged soft tissues to promote growth and rejuvenation with proteins, carbohydrates, and naturally occurring fluids. This is an ideal alternative to surgery for many different sports injuries.
Are You Looking for a Sports Injuries Expert in Austin, TX?
If you are looking for sports injury care, you should reach out to an experienced podiatrist. Austin Foot and Ankle Specialists can help. Our office provides a wide variety of advanced, effective treatment options for all kinds of painful conditions. Ready to schedule an appointment? Contact us online or call our Austin office at 512.328.8900.